Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Teachers union opposes bonus program

Just checking the local news at Fox 25 Boston and saw this story -Teachers union opposes bonus program.

Apparently the Boston Teachers Union wants to prevent teachers from pocketing bonuses that are performance-based. As I read this, I wonder what is wrong with this? Don't we have merit bonuses in other areas (I know I have received bonuses at the end of the year for good work in growing the company). I don't see why the Union would oppose this as I would think it would encourage teachers to go the 'extra mile' in their job. Quite frankly, teachers have a critical job in the development of the next generation and they should be encouraged (like other professions) to be recognized for outstanding performance. Similarly we should look to remove from the educational establishment those teachers that are sub par.

My opinion at least

OS

No comments:

Post a Comment